Mission and Overview
The goal of the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania at New Bolton Center is to provide the finest in both emergency and routine veterinary patient care for all species of large animals, to strive to better understand animal disease processes, and to be leaders in the area of animal health and productivity for the betterment of society.
Penn Vet’s New Bolton Campus which opened in 1952 is located on 700 acres of pastoral Chester County, and offers some of the finest veterinary services for horses, cattle, camelids, pigs, goats, sheep and other large animals available anywhere in the country..
Most notably, the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals, which opened in 1964, provides a standard of care that is internationally renowned. With a long history of excellence, it enjoys one of the largest caseloads of any academic large animal hospital in the country. The hospital provides inpatient and outpatient services, accommodating more than 6,000 patient visits each year. The hospital facilities include:
- The Department of Pathobiology includes one the three Pennsylvania Animal Diagnostic Laboratories (PADLS) as well as the Poultry Diagnostic Center.
The Department of Clinical Studies includes the sections of Swine Production, Biostatistics, and Epidemiology and Public Health. in addition to the hospital sections of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Surgery, Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine, Field Service and Reproduction.