TO: Students, Faculty and Staff: Below please find a revised and current version of the School's Severe Weather Policy: this policy has been agreed upon by the School's administration and takes effect immediately.
SEVERE (Inclement) WEATHER POLICY
Class/Laboratory/Examination Inclement Weather Policy - Philadelphia Campus - Non-Clinical Students
In case of severe weather such as a winter snowstorm, the University may be forced to cancel or delay classes. You can determine the University's operating status by calling Penn's Emergency Information Line at 215-898-MELT.
If you are told the University is open, then our classes/laboratories and examinations will be held (although we cannot guarantee that a given instructor will be able to conduct class). If you are told that the University will open at, for example, 11:00 AM, then report to your 11:00 AM class. If the University has canceled classes, then your classes are canceled. Examinations, classes and laboratories will be rescheduled if they fall during a time when the University is closed.
New Bolton Center Inclement Weather Policy for Large Animal Block & Non-Clinical Students
(This includes 1st & 2nd Year ICVM students)
The decision on cancellation or delay of classes (Large Animal block and other non-clinical classes) will be made by the Associate Dean for New Bolton Center by 6:00 AM. This information will be conveyed to the Office of the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs who will notify the student body by email.
1. The decision will be made independent of the day’s schedule (not affected by whether lectures, labs or examinations are scheduled).
2. If missed due to cancellation or delays, lectures and laboratories might or might not be rescheduled.
3. If missed due to cancellation or delays, examinations will be rescheduled.
4. If there are no cancellations or delays, then classes/laboratories and examinations will be held (although we cannot guarantee that a given instructor will be able to conduct class).
5. If you are told that there is a 2 hour delay, that means that classes /courses/labs that occur between 8-10 AM have been canceled. Classes/labs/courses scheduled from 10 AM on will occur at their regular time.
6. Please note: Each and every day a student should exercise her/his best judgment with regard to road conditions and other safety concerns. Should you elect as an individual to be absent from Large Animal Block or Non-clinical classes, contact your course organizer.
New Bolton Center Inclement Weather Policy For Senior & Early Entry Clinical Students
Students in clinics should follow hospital procedure, which recognizes students on rotations as essential personnel.
If there are questions or concerns, please contact Dr. Corinne Sweeney (610-960-2771).
MJRyan/VHUP Inclement Weather Policy For Senior and Early Entry Clinical Students
All students enrolled in clinical rotations at the M.J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital are considered to be essential and are expected to make a good faith effort to report to their assigned clinical duties even if the University does officially close.
However, no one should risk harm to themselves by doing so. Also, it is understood that home situations may make it impossible for some of you to make it in to the hospital.
Therefore in the event of anticipated severe weather, every student should speak with their service/rotation head so that appropriate arrangements can be made to ensure adequate staffing to meet the needs of our patients and hospital operations.
9 February 2011