The Section of Cardiology at the University of Pennsylvania veterinary school was established in 1958 by Drs. David Detweiler and Donald Patterson as the clinical arm of the comparative cardiovascular studies unit. It is considered the “birthplace” of veterinary cardiology with pioneer work done in various areas, including electrocardiography, heartworm disease, congenital heart disease, heart surgery, etc.
The section has state-of-the-art equipment, including echocardiography, electro- & phonocardiography, radiography & angiography, event & holter-monitoring equipment and a pacemaker interrogator unit providing the basis for high-scale diagnostic work-up within the area of small animal veterinary cardiology.
The Cardiology Section serves the major Philadelphia area with an average yearly case-load of 1820 patients.