Selected Penn Vet Firsts
1891 Dr. Leonard Pearson uses first tuberculin test to control bovine tuberculosis.
1900 Penn holds first veterinary continuing education conference for practitioners.
1921 Dr. Ernest C. Deubler, V'11, establishes first brucellosis free herd of cattle in U.S.
1924–25 Dr. Evan L. Stubbs, V'11, identifies avian influenza virus in U.S.
1969 National Institutes of Health funds nation's first VMD/PhD program.
1969 First veterinary Section of Medical Genetics established.
1971 Recovery pool for horses emerging from anesthesia opens at New Bolton Center.
1981 World's first test tube calf, Virgil, is born at New Bolton Center.
1981 Dr. Ralph Brinster, V'60, with Dr. Richard Palmiter, develops the first transgenic animals.
1990 Connelly Intensive Care Unit/Graham French Neonatal Section, the first building designed specifically for care of critically ill large animals, opens at New Bolton Center.
1990 First animal bloodmobile in the world enters service at Ryan Veterinary Hospital.
1990 Medical genetics researchers develop first allele specific test for an inherited disease in domestic animals.
1993 PennHIP®, a new diagnostic procedure for canine hip dysplasia, is established at Ryan Veterinary Hospital.
1996 Marshak Dairy, the first greenhouse-style dairy complex in Pennsylvania, is dedicated.
2001 New swine facility fostering the latest humane methods in swine rearing opens at New Bolton Center.