Five Horses Donated to Carriage Driving Program
Thursday, September 11, 2003
PHILADELPHIA -- The
University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine received
a very generous donation of five nationally registered horses to
its carriage program from Ms. Gloria Austin of Weirsdale, Fla. Ms
Austin is renowned among coaching and carriage driving enthusiasts
for her high-profile participation in the sport of pleasure
driving, as well as for her remarkable collection of antique
coaches and carriages housed at the Austin Carriage Museum in
Austin's decision to help the carriage program at New Bolton
Center, Penn's large animal campus, grew out of Penn's
historical connection to Mr. Fairman Rogers, a 19th century Penn
graduate and Trustee, who was directly involved in the decision
to establish Penn's veterinary school in 1884. Fairman Rogers
wrote the classic reference and historical work, The
Manual of Coaching. His rare book collection on the horse
and equitation is housed in Penn's Van Pelt Library.
Veterinary Medicine's carriage program is an important outreach,
education, and development tool that has helped raise
significant funds for New Bolton Center. Because of the loss of
its team of donated Morgan horses through illness earlier this
year, the program was at risk. Generous friends of the School
loaned a pair of Hackney-Clydesdales to New Bolton Center to
ensure that the School could participate in several important
benefit events during the summer.
Austin's gift of her highly trained Kladruby grays and
National Show Pintos ensures that the School, by virtue if this
special program, can continue to take its message on the
importance and value of veterinary medicine to a wide variety of
constituents locally and regionally.
Penn's School of Veterinary Medicine is one of the world's premier veterinary schools. Founded in 1884, the School was built on the concept of Many Species, One Medicine. The birthplace of veterinary specialties, the School serves a distinctly diverse array of animal patients, from pets to horses to farm animals at our two campuses. In Philadelphia, on Penn's campus, are the Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital for companion animals, as well as classrooms, laboratories and the School's administrative offices. The large-animal facility, New Bolton Center, in Kennett Square, Pa., encompasses hospital facilities for the care of horses and food animals as well as diagnostic laboratories serving the agriculture industry. The School has successfully integrated scholarship and scientific discovery with all aspects of veterinary medical education.
Visit us on-line at www.vet.upenn.edu