Consumption of lilies may induce kidney failure in cats
[March 14, 2016; Philadelphia, PA] – With Easter right around the corner, Penn Vet reminds pet owners that lilies are highly toxic to cats, and may cause kidney failure. All parts of the plant are considered poisonous, so lilies should be kept away from cats at all times.
Lilies dangerous to cats include:
- Easter lily
- Tiger lily
- Rubrum lily
- Japanese Show lily
- Day lily
- Stargazer lily
- Asiatic lily
A cat may vomit, lose its appetite, or become lethargic within a few hours of ingesting a toxic plant. If these symptoms occur, see your veterinarian immediately.
Penn Vet’s Ryan Hospital is the only veterinary teaching hospital in the nation offering kidney transplantation and hemodialysis under one roof.
Dr. Lillian Aronson, Professor of Small Animal Surgery and Co-Director of the Comprehensive Kidney & Urinary Care Service, founded Penn Vet’s Feline Renal Transplantation Program in 1998. To date, Dr. Aronson has successfully completed over 150 procedures.
Dr. Aronson and the Penn Vet team saved Elvis, a one-year-old cat, from kidney failure after he licked a lily. To learn more about Elvis’ case and kidney transplantation, click here.