So that you can get started on the right foot, here's a list of resources to review and tasks to complete.
- Make sure you've read our section on Financial Assistance. It's important that you understand the costs of a VMD and the financial support you can get.
- Learn more about Costs and Financial Assistance...
- Campus Express: With Campus Express, you can access the most essential student services from one central website.
- For security purposes, you will need a Penn ID, or Penn Card, to access certain buildings and facilities both at Penn Vet and at Penn. Once you come to campus, you'll need to go to the Penn ID Center.
- Off-Campus Services at the University of Pennsylvania is a resource to help members of the community, including all undergraduate and graduate students, staff and faculty. Visit Off-Campus Services at UPenn to get a sense of what's next.
- Another resource offered by Penn's Off-Campus Services is the Graduate Housing Guide. It's a great way to get acquainted with housing options in Philadelphia and the campus area.
Student Health Services
- The University of Pennsylvania requires all incoming students to be immunized against certain diseases and to submit this information to the Student Health Service Immunization Compliance Office. You must submit immunization history before you matriculate. This is a multi-step process and the deadline for submission is July 1.
The following is important information from Student Health Services (http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/) regarding this compliance and submission of health forms (immunization record and medical history).
An overview of the immunization requirement including links to all instructions, documents, and a FAQ is located at: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/immreq.php.
Instructions for submission of your Immunization History are located at: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php . Please read the instructions carefully. Please be aware that you will need to have your health provider complete and sign the Immunization Worksheet before you submit any information.
You will need to take a copy of the worksheet (http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/files/IMMWORKSHEET2016.pdf) to your health provider for completion and signature. Then you will enter your immunization information online through the Student Health Portal (see the link in Step #3 of http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php which has instructions to log on to SHS Portal)
You will need to use your PennKey and Password to enter your immunization history.
Once you’ve entered your immunization history online, you will be given a link to upload your records directly to Student Health Services. These documents will need to be in PDF format. If this isn’t possible, a fax number will be provided. Please do not return this information to the Veterinary School.
Submission of these health forms is a University requirement. If these forms are not submitted, or are incomplete, the University will place you on hold and not permit us to register you as a student.
We strongly advise you to keep a copy of your immunization form for your records.
If you have questions regarding the immunization requirement or completing your history, please contact the Immunization Office directly at 215-746-3535 (menu option #4) or via email: email@example.com
Student Health Insurance: All students must have some form of health insurance or the University will block your registration. University health insurance and enrollment/waiver information are generally mailed directly to each student in early summer. Open enrollment/waiver begins on July 1 via the Penn Portal.
Please visit http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/compliance.phpfor insurance compliance information.
If you do not receive information or have questions, please call the Insurance Office directly at 215.746.3535.
What You Need to Get Started