Incoming Students

Penn Vet Students in Orthopedic Surgery

Penn Vet Academic Calendar

Stay on top of important dates.

So that you can get started on the right foot, here's a list of resources to review and tasks to complete.

Financial Aid

  • Make sure you've read our section on Financial Assistance. It's important that you understand the costs of a VMD and the financial support you can get.
  • Learn more about Costs and Financial Assistance...

Student Services

  • Campus Express: With Campus Express, you can access the most essential student services from one central website.
  • For security purposes, you will need a Penn ID, or Penn Card, to access certain buildings and facilities both at Penn Vet and at Penn. Once you come to campus, you'll need to go to the Penn ID Center.


  • Off-Campus Services at the University of Pennsylvania is a resource to help members of the community, including all undergraduate and graduate students, staff and faculty. Visit Off-Campus Services at UPenn to get a sense of what's next. 
  • Another resource offered by Penn's Off-Campus Services is the Graduate Housing Guide. It's a great way to get acquainted with housing options in Philadelphia and the campus area.

Student Health Services

  • The University of Pennsylvania requires all incoming students to be immunized against certain diseases and to submit this information to the Student Health Service Immunization Compliance Office.  You must submit immunization history before you matriculate.  This is a multi-step process and the deadline for submission is July 1.  

    The following is important information from Student Health Services (http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/) regarding this compliance and submission of health forms (immunization record and medical history). 

    An overview of the immunization requirements including links to all instructions, documents, and a FAQ is located at: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/immreq.php.

    Instructions for submission of your Immunization History are located at: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php .  Please read the instructions carefully.  Please be aware that you will need to have your health provider complete and sign the Immunization Worksheet before you submit any information.

    You will need to take a copy of the worksheet (http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/files/WORKSHEET_2017-2018.pdf) to your health provider for completion and signature.  Then you will enter your immunization information online through the Student Health Portal (see the link in Step #3 of http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/imemfinfo.php which has instructions to log on to SHS Portal)

    You will need to use your PennKey and Password to enter your immunization history.

    Once you’ve entered your immunization history online, you will upload your records directly to Student Health Services.  Please do not return this information to the Veterinary School.

    Submission of these health forms is a University requirement.  If these forms are not submitted, or are incomplete, the University will place you on hold and not permit us to register you as a student.

    We strongly advise you to keep a copy of your immunization form for your records.

    If you have questions regarding the immunization requirement or completing your history, please contact the Immunization Office directly at 215-746-3535 (menu option #4) or via email: immun@pobox.upenn.edu

  • Student Health Insurance: All students must have some form of health insurance or the University will block your registration. University health insurance and enrollment/waiver information are generally mailed directly to each student in early summer.  Open enrollment/waiver begins on July 1 via the Penn Portal.

    Please visit  http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/compliance.php for insurance compliance information.

    If you do not receive information or have questions,  please call the Insurance Office directly at 215.746.3535.

What You Need to Get Started

  • Certification of Rabies Vaccinations: You must be inoculated against rabies. This is extremely important as southeastern Pennsylvania is an endemic area of racoon rabies which is beginning to spill over into the dog, cat, horse, and cow population. You can either be vaccinated prior to matriculation or during the first three weeks of the academic year at Penn's Student Health Services.  You will need to complete and return the Class of 2021 Rabies Certification Form (PDF).  This form must be returned to the Penn Vet Office for Students.  Do not send it to Student Health.
  • Computing Information: The Penn Vet IT Group provides a wide array of technology services and technical support for the students, staff, and faculty of the School of Veterinary Medicine. All Penn Vet students are provided with an email account and class mailing list services, personal network storage, antivirus software, Web portal access to academic and administrative services, access to digital curriculum, Help Desk support, network wireless connectivity throughout our campuses, and access to computing lab facilities. Penn Vet students also receive support from University IT staff in addition to support and services delivered through Penn Vet.  Information for 2017-2018 is located here: Download the Computing Information (PDF)
  • Complete and Return your Class Notes Form (MSWord)

  • Microscope Information: 

    For the Class of 2021, you will need a microscope for your first year.  The School is transitioning to digital slides for laboratories, however at this time, it is unknown whether a microscope will be necessary for your second year.  Students will be advised in February 2018.  I. Miller Precision Optical Instruments, Inc. offers rental microscopes and they will be delivered to students during New Student Orientation.  Please complete the Microscope-Order-Form (PDF) and return it to I. Miller directly.  Should microscopes be required for your second year, arrangements will be made with I. Miller to extend the rental agreement.  You WILL NOT need a microscope during your third and fourth year.  Please read the microscope specifications (PDF).

  • Coveralls: Coveralls are required for ICVM labs at New Bolton Center.  You must have brown or tan coveralls by the first day of class.  You may order from any site.  When ordering, make sure to allow 4-6 weeks at a minimum as Dickies coveralls can often be back-ordered by the manufacturer.   Locally, Central Uniforms offers the required coveralls:


    The purchase price on their site includes an embroidered Veterinary Caduceus and the words Penn Vet on each pair of coveralls.  For Central Uniforms, or for any site you choose, it is strongly suggested you order no later than July 1, 2017 to ensure you receive your coveralls prior to the first day of class.

  • Gross Anatomy Introduction (PDF).
  • Anatomy Lab Supplies: Disposable gloves - Nitrile recommended.
    Dissection kit to include: a number 4 GERMAN-MADE handle, a good supply of number 21 or 22 blades, a rat-toothed forceps and a blunt stainless-steel probe. Tingley Over-Shoe Boots. 
  • Recommended Textbooks (PDF).
  • Mandatory Orientation Schedule:
    • Tuesday, Aug. 22, Wednesday, Aug. 23, Thursday, Aug.24, 2017
      First Day of Class is Monday, Aug. 28, 2017
  • Class hour-plans will not be finalized until mid-August. Please see the Academic Year Calendar 2017-2018 (PDF).