The Section of Surgery encompasses faculty and staff dedicated to Anesthesia, Emergency & Critical Care, Large Animal Surgery, and Sports Medicine.
Penn Vet’s academic veterinary hospitals were among the first to establish anesthesia as an independent specialty service and continue to have the some of the most experienced specialists in the world doing large animal anesthesia. New Bolton Center has the largest staff of board certified anesthesiologists and highly trained anesthesia technicians in the world specializing in large animals. Horses with major injuries can be recovered more safely from general anesthesia in our raft-swimming pool system, the only one of its kind in the world.
Emergency & Critical Care
Penn Vet’s New Bolton Center offers one of the nation’s few Emergency & Critical Care programs specifically dedicated to large animals. We have a team of dual board certified specialists trained in emergency/critical care, surgery and medicine that is available every hour of every day of the year and a nursing staff second to none.
Large Animal Surgery
Our surgeons are internationally recognized experts providing a complete array of sophisticated procedures including modern minimally invasive techniques such as arthroscopy, endoscopy, laparoscopy, laser and cryo-surgery.
New Bolton Center’s surgical suite in the C. Mahlon Kline Orthopedic & Rehabilitation Center has state-of-the-art equipment for complex fracture repair, special air-handling capabilities to minimize surgical site contamination and a unique pool/raft recovery system. We have intraoperative computed tomography (CT scans) and fluoroscopy that allow the most accurate repair of even the most difficult fractures.
New Bolton Center is one of the world leaders in equine sports medicine. Our multidisciplinary team of board-certified internists, surgeons and sports medicine and rehabilitation specialists, in partnership with an internationally renowned farrier and specialized sports medicine and imaging technicians, evaluate and treat the equine athlete.
Our Equine Performance Clinic specializes in:
- Clinical evaluation of lameness
- Rehabilitation of horses following an injury
- Purchase examinations
- Poor performance examinations
We evaluate equine performance in the newly constructed Equine Performance Evaluation Facility, a state-of-the-art indoor facility. For comprehensive evaluation while a horse is exercising, we use both the Jeffords high-speed treadmill and over-ground dynamic endoscopy (miniaturized cameras/recorders attached to an endoscope that can evaluate a horse as it is being ridden).
Both our Sports Medicine clinicians and surgeons benefit from state of the art imaging modalities (digital radiography, nuclear scintigraphy (bone scans), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), exceptional quality ultrasonography and computed tomography (CT). We have introduced robotic CT done in standing horses. In addition to the exceptional and tireless clinical work our faculty perform on a daily basis, they conduct groundbreaking research in their individual fields.
Faculty & Staff
Anesthesia, Emergency & Critical Care
- Barbara Dallap Schaer, VMD, DACVECC, DACVS (E&CC), Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Critical Care, Medical Director, New Bolton Center
- Bernd Driessen, DVM, DrMedVet, DACVA, DECVPT (Anesthesia), Professor of Anesthesia, Section Chief, Emergency Critical Care/Anesthesia
- Janet Johnston, DVM, DACVIM, DACVS (E&CC), Staff Veterinarian, Emergency and Critical Care
- Kim Olson, DVM, DACVA, Staff Veterinarian, Emergency-Critical Care/Anesthesia
- Louise Southwood, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVS, DACVECC, Associate Professor of Emergency and Critical Care
- Maia Aitken, DVM, DACVS, Staff Veterinarian (ECC)
- Michelle Linton, BSc, BVMS, DACVIM, Senior Fellow (ECC)
Large Animal Surgery
- Dr. Carrie Jacobs, DVM, Fellow in Large Animal Surgery
- David G. Levine, DVM, DACVS, Assistant Professor of Clinical Large Animal Surgery
- Eric Parente, DVM, DACVS, Professor of Large Animal Surgery
- James Orsini, DVM, DACVS, Associate Professor of Large Animal Surgery
- Kyla Ortved, DVM, PhD, DACVS, DACSMR, Assistant Professor of Clinical Large Animal Surgery
- Dean Richardson, DVM, DACVS, Charles W. Raker Professor of Equine Surgery and Chief of Large Animal Surgery
- Michael Ross, DVM, DACVS, Professor of Large Animal Surgery
- Dr. Hannah Sophie Chapman
- Dr. Alexandra Curtiss
- Dr. Hope Douglas
- Dr. Shannon Hinton
- Dr. Ashley VanderBroek
- Dr. Alyssa Doering
- Dr. Elizabeth Elzer
- Dr. Angela Gaesser
- Dr. Sarah Schale
- Dr. Kelley Varner