Acupuncture in horses is particularly useful in the treatment of chronic back pain. Back pain may present as a change or alteration in performance or a refusal to perform, a change in eating habits or a change in behavior. We will examine your horse completely, formulate a diagnosis, a treatment plan and begin a course of acupuncture therapy which can be continued by your veterinarian or by us, whichever you would prefer.
- A standard course of acupuncture for chronic back pain is treatment once weekly for eight weeks. Each treatment takes about ten minutes.
- For information or to schedule an appointment, please contact Kathryn Minacci at 610-925-6490 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Controlled exercise programs are tailored to your horse’s injury, temperament and stabling facilities in order to obtain the maximal benefit from the rehabilitation program we have designed for your horse.
- Controlled exercise programs are designed to return your horse to work in a gradually increasing low level exercise program, encouraging a good quality repair without overloading the injured tissues.
- Periodic re-examination is indicated for horses with tendon and ligament injuries to ensure that they are ready to advance to the next exercise level.
Focused high-energy extracorporeal shock wave therapy is available to treat a wide variety of equine injuries from bucked shins and saucer fractures to proximal suspensory desmitis and other tendon and ligament injuries.
A series of focused high-energy ultrasound waves are directed into the injured tissue. For tendon and ligament injuries a series of three treatments administered three weeks apart is usually recommended.
A single treatment may be all that is needed for a horse with bucked shins or a saucer fracture.
Stem cell therapy is a recent and developing area of treatment for equine injuries that has shown has shown positive healing results in tendon, ligament and joint injuries in horses. Current research has begun to shed light on the best applications and techniques for the use of stem cell therapy.
Stem cells are found in higher concentrations in bone marrow and fat. To obtain therapeutic amounts of these stem cells, bone marrow or fat is collected, processed, and injected into a patient’s affected areas.