p>Consultation with the nutrition service is available to veterinarians (within or outside of PennVet) only.
Depending on the complexity of the case and nutritional plan, a brief consultation (in person or by phone) may fulfill the pet’s needs.
For more complex cases, the pet’s veterinarian provides the clinical nutritionist with information about:
- A pet’s medical history and lab work
- Detailed diet history completed by the pet owner
Based on the information provided, the clinical nutritionist will communicate with the pet’s veterinarian to formulate a nutritional plan for the pet.
For legal and ethical reasons, it is important that all advice given to a pet owner come from a veterinarian who has evaluated the pet and has a relationship with the pet’s owner. The pet’s veterinarian will be the contact person for questions and concerns regarding the pet’s response to the feeding plan.
Depending on the pet’s health status and other factors, feeding plans may include commercially-available over-the-counter or therapeutic diets, home-prepared diets, diets specially prepared for tube-feeding, parenteral (IV) nutrition, and/or dietary supplements.
In addition to making recommendations specific to diet selection, clinical nutritionists provide information on ideal amounts, timing, and frequency of feeding, as well as the formulation of a plan for monitoring a pet’s response to dietary therapy.
Charges for consultations are billed to the veterinarian’s hospital and vary with the type of consultation and nutritional plan prescribed.
To request consultation with the Clinical Nutrition Service
- For urgent consultations, please call 215-898-4218 and specify that an emergency clinical nutrition consultation is needed, so that we can be contacted directly.
- You may download the consult and diet history forms or request them by fax (Call the Referral Office at (877-PENN VET or 877-736-6838).
- The forms and any information pertaining to this consultation that you would like to include (e.g., clinical laboratory results) can be emailed or faxed to us.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX: 215-573-4617, Attn. Clinical Nutrition Service
- Please indicate your name and the patient identifying information on any faxes so we can direct this information to the appropriate case.
- We will contact you within 48 hours although depending upon the nature of the consultation it may take longer to accomplish all aspects of the request.
To refer a case, please call the Ryan Veterinary Hospital Referring Veterinarian Services at 215-898-4218 and request that the patient be seen by the most appropriate out-patient service and indicate that you are also requesting that the Clinical Nutrition Service be consulted as part of the referral.