Oliver Garden's team comprises clinical and research staff, including veterinarians, doctoral candidates, post-doctoral fellows, research assistants, interns, residents, and students.
Meet the current members of the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Lab team.
- Dr. Julia (Ying) Wu
Julia is a postdoctoral Research Specialist in the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory.
- Julia graduated from the University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2009 with a Bachelor's degree in Biology. She then finished a two-year MPhil in Microbiology at the HKU in 2012 and worked as a research assistant before and after receiving her degree.
- Following the completion of a Master’s in Immunology at Imperial College London in 2014, Julia completed a three-year PhD within the Garden Immune Regulation Laboratory when it was based at the Royal Veterinary College, studying the role of regulatory T cells in canine diffuse large B cell lymphoma as a model for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. She has now moved across the pond, joining the myasthenia gravis research team in the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory while also retaining an interest in cancer by collaborating with Dr. Jenny Lenz on a project examining alternative treatment protocols for canine T cell lymphoma, involving flow cytometry of peripheral regulatory cell populations in treated patients.
- In her leisure time, Julia enjoys traveling and practicing Chinese calligraphy.
Mr. Brandon Lawson
- Brandon is a Research Assistant in the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory.
- Brandon graduated from Samford University in 2018 with a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry and Physics, undertaking auxiliary studies in Western philosophy.
- Brandon’s focus is on producing vaccine components and conducting in vivo work for myasthenia gravis.
- In his personal time, Brandon enjoys cooking, reading, and spending time outdoors with his dog, Bernie. He aspires to pursue a graduate degree in biophysics.
Ms. Victoria Leopardi
- Victoria is a rising second year veterinary student at PennVet. She is a part of the NIH/ Boehringer Ingelheim Summer Research Program completing her project in the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory.
- Victoria received her undergraduate degree from McGill University in 2019, focusing her senior honors research project on the role of MxB in the innate immune response to HIV and HSV-1 infection..
- In her spare time, she enjoys painting, weightlifting, and volunteering at the local animal shelter.
Mr. Fenix (Yiyun) Peng
- Fenix is a research specialist in the Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory.
- Fenix graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 2020 with a Bachelor's degree in Biology and a minor in Chemistry.
- Fenix is working on designing a chimeric antigen receptor regulatory T cell (CAR-Treg) therapy in the Experimental Autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis (EAMG) rodent model.
- In his spare time, Fenix enjoys cooking and playing video games. He is planning to pursue a PhD degree in microbiology and immunology.
The Garden & Luo Immune Regulation Laboratory welcomes undergraduate students benefiting from the Work Study Placement Program.
- Mr. Andrew Pham
- Andrew is an undergraduate student studying Biology, with a focus on mechanisms of disease, at the University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences.
- Andrew is part of the myasthenia gravis research team, with a focus on developing antigen-specific therapies for the disease.
- In his free time, Andrew enjoys fishing, playing volleyball, and watching television series such as Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.