Cardiology services include cardiology consultations on in-hospital patients and appointments on an outpatient basis.
- Blood pressure measurement (indirect)
- Echocardiography (incl. Doppler & Tissue Doppler)
- Electrocardiography (12 lead ECG)
- Event monitoring
- Holter-monitoring (24-48 hours continuous ECG)
- Pacemaker interrogation
- Thoracic radiography (w/ Section of Radiology)
- Balloon valvuloplasty
- Cardiac catheterization/Angiocardiography
- Device embolization of persistent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Electrophysiologic studies and radiofrequency ablation of select arrhythmias
- Heartworm retrieval
- Pacemaker implantation (temporary and permanent pacemakers)
- Pericardiocentesis (+/- cytology)
- Thoracocentesis (+/- cytology) and/or abdominocentesis
- Endomyocardial biopsy
To set up an appointment with Cardiology, please call the Appointment Desk at 215-898-4680 (please ask specifically for a Cardiology Appointment when calling).
Appointment on an Out-patient Basis
Time required for a cardiology appointment is dependent on the amount of diagnostic work-up warranted and is therefore variable with each individual case. Typically between one and three hours is necessary for most cases (for some patients specific arrangements can be made with the individual cardiologist for admission as day-cases, with drop-off in the morning and discharge later in the day).
Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of care and diagnostics. As a result, Cardiology is often involved in ongoing clinical trials of new therapies and diagnostic procedures. These clinical trials recruit throughout the year.
Patients are typically admitted to the hospital early on the day of the procedure or the prior evening and discharged the following day (if no complications). An exception is pericardiocentesis or thoracocentesis, which are usually performed on an out-patient basis.
This is performed in conjunction with the clinical lab.
If blood work and/or radiographs have been done at a local veterinary hospital, please bring these records to the appointment at Penn Vet.
Note: For emergencies, please call the Emergency Service at the Ryan Veterinary Hospital directly at 215-898-8911.