The purpose of this study is to determine whether a new prescription diet can slow the progression of early mitral valve disease. The study involves six visits to Penn Vet over the course of a year.
- Heart murmur (grade 2 or greater)
- At least 6 years old
- Weighs between 9 and 33 pounds
- Not currently on cardiac medications and no history of heart failure
- No history of enlarged heart size on x-ray or echocardiogram
- No history of chronic gastrointestinal problems or allergies requiring prescription diet
Eligible dogs will undergo a free cardiac evaluation at Penn Vet. Dogs enrolled in the study will receive 12 months of standard diet or specially formulated diet and follow up rechecks at no cost.
For more information please contact the VCIC at 215-573-0302 or email@example.com